Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The Sunday Drive

Last weekend my parents took the boys and I on what was one of my favorite family traditions: the Sunday Drive.

L and my dad (Big Q) started the day with a trip to a Swap Meet and we hit the road. Best part? My mom packed everything! I should elaborate:
My mother is a savant in the art of packing….she has everything you could ever think of. Fingernail clipper? Has it. Sewing kit? Of course. Plug in for any electronic device ever made? Duh. AND the ever present necessity: the wet washcloth. My sister, D, and I joke that when we are packing to go anywhere we follow the mantra "WWDD: What Would D (mom) Do" because she thinks of EVERYTHING! #WWDD #WetWashclothMemories
First Stop: Quick stop at my cousin’s house to drop off a couple things. B took the opportunity during the 5 minute stop to get out and roll around in their sandbox. He would have been fine ending the trip right here as there was a park next door, a dog down the street, a sandbox, AND chickens….a 1 ½ year old's dream! Alas, it was soon time to head to our next location so after we (mostly) cleaned him up, we were back on track.


Second Stop: Starks Liquor Store. I know, an obvious choice for a trip with two little boys =)  But we were able to put together a craft beer sampler and pick up some of their delicious cheese curds so everyone left with a treat.




Third Stop: Walked across the street to the ‘world famous’ Pete’s Hamburger Stand. World Famous = Big Q watched a special on them on the Travel Channel so we had to try it. The boys enjoyed watching them boil the burgers and walking through the boat store next door.
Hanging with grandpa....
`
Fourth Stop: Took a ‘short cut’ to Pikes Peak (I think the quotation marks indicate how short this cut ended up being). Had a picnic, played in the park, and walked down to Veil Falls. L LOVED counting all of the steps on the way up and down. He can currently count to ‘twenty-thirty’ (thirty) and only skips one or two numbers in between. I know every parent thinks their child is a genius, but mine actually is. #saideverymomever
Child genius...


On our way to the falls

Fifth Stop: Phelps Park, Decorah. We had ice cream and than played in the park. L was so happy because they have three parks (play areas). By the end, Grandma, Grandpa, B, and mom were tired with bellyaches and L could have stayed another 3 hours.






Sixth Stop: Home. Clothes went directly into the washing machine, bodies went directly into the bath, and moms went directly into the couch.


L is still talking about the trip and it now ranks up there with Grandma’s house and the Waterpark as his favorite places to go. Those are some high praises my friends.


Sappyness alert! Those with weak stomachs read at your own risk:  Days like this make me so grateful our kids have all four grandparents that are always there to step in and lend a hand or make a memory =)  Family is the best! 


No comments:

Post a Comment