Thursday, August 13, 2015

New Post from D: Finding Inspiration


Well hello again!  After re-reading my last check-in, I realized a lot has happened in just a few short months!  The biggest update is that my foot healed up miraculously quickly and I've been running again!  Ha.lle.lu.jah!  My love for the run just will not die. :)  I've been extremely cautious getting back into it and hopefully the lower mileage will pay off for some long term injury-free training (fingers and toes crossed)!  As much as I'd like to do more, I'd much rather be running a little bit than not at all.  Fortunately, zero running during the entire month of June hasn’t kept me from getting out and enjoying some fun training and races this summer!  I’ve had a blast competing in two relay triathlons with great friends, getting in my first century rides ever (huge rite of passage for this newbie cyclist!), and was even actually able to complete an entire triathlon solo (under-trained or not).

Before recapping the races in detail, I’ve been reflecting on these recent experiences a lot lately.  This Sunday, I’m competing the Pigman Long Course Triathlon in Palo, IA.  After missing the registration window (injuries don’t allow for a lot of future planning), I somehow snagged a bib-transfer on Facebook and got my name in the hat for one of our region’s oldest ongoing half-Ironman races.  It also happens to be a 40 minute drive from my sister J’s brand new house in Anamosa, IA!  A highly recommended race, in my native state, with some good friends, and having my family there to watch?  Deal made! 

Being my first injury-free triathlon of the season and my first race entering as an elite (yikes!), nerves are high and playing a little larger piece in my preparations than I’d like.  This, on top of scanning the entrant list this week and seeing an outstanding field of nationally competitive athletes, has led to a few sleepless nights.  (Check out the preview!) Sure, going after an award in a small town race is one thing, but going up against nationally acclaimed competition???  Part of me wonders how big of a fool I will make of myself in only the third triathlon of my life.   The other part of me; however, is ecstatic to participate in such an event.  The women racing are well-known pro and amateur triathletes and having a chance to compete against them and hopefully meet them will be a dream come true. #starstrucknerd  

I’ve also requested my nephews, who are coming to watch, be thrown into my sweaty, smelly arms as soon as I cross the finish line.  Seeing them cheering me on during the race and knowing they’ll be there at the finish brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.  Sorry for the inevitable sap that always manages to come out in these posts, but these little guys mean so much to me and my family’s support is never less than amazing. Let’s hope the sweat will disguise the tears Sunday!
Lincoln taking me on enough rides to make me sick at our county fair in June.
Brooks felt the same way...

I have three simple goals for the race:
    1.  Execute the race plan.
    2.  Enjoy the moment.
    3.  DREAM BIG.

My coach will undoubtedly put together a set of meticulously planned instructions for the race.  From a week of torturous tapering to pre-race set-up, race watts, and nutrition; he has it covered. 

Success will not be measured by how I place upon my competitors, but how well I execute my plan.  Wisdom that focusing on factors outside of my control (opponents, weather, etc.) just cause undue stress is key.  The purpose is to simply do the best that I can do on race day.  

This brings me to my next goal: Enjoy the moment!  Triathletes don’t compete for prizes or notoriety; we compete for the love of the sport.  Pushing myself to the limits and enjoying the wind in my hair (however snarly and sweaty it is) brings me joy without bounds.  God has blessed me with an amazingly resilient and healthy body and for that I am beyond thankful.  I plan on soaking up the experience and remembering why I do this: out of pure joy. 

Lastly, armed with some new inspirational gear from my favorite local running shop, my last goal is to dream big.  A fear of failure will only lead to indecision and inaction.  Taking a risk like competing against some pretty fast females is daunting to say the least, but it will be an excellent opportunity for growth.  I’ll learn a lot about what it takes to get to the next level and who knows?  Race day magic has been known to lead to miracles in the past and I’m not leaving out the possibility of a decent finish! J 

Stay tuned for race recaps soon!


-d



No comments:

Post a Comment